Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow, snow snow

Well, isn't that interesting? This is supposed to be the busiest shopping weekend in the run up to Christmas and here we are in the middle of a severe winter storm. So hibernating at home is more likely to be on the agenda than hitting the stores.

I think it's been good, having all this snow in December. How beautiful it is to see the silvery hoar frost, as I did last Tuesday. Yes, I know and remember particularly from the days when I lived in London, England, snow on city streets can be slushy and dirty and generally a nuisance. But even in the city the sight of trees embellished with white and the soft blanket covering the grassy parts of parks and so on can be quite lovely.

Snow has a softening effect, rounding off square and sharp edges and corners... and then there's the quiet. It's like the perfect antidote to the endless stream of Christmas music. These are the reasons why to me the snow this December has been a blessing. It has brought a certain peace to my heart and much beauty on which to rest my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment